3.20.2012

Vintage Neon Signs













































Not quite sure what it is about good signage that gives you that warm comfortable feeling about a shop based solely on their sign.  More than just the face of a business, a sign is the firm handshake of an auto shop or the familiar smile of a mom and pop restaurant.  Signs these days seem to be losing that quality true sign feel.  What these neon signs do have, is character.  Non-fancy, classic shaped, unflattering lettering that can stand the test of time and only really come alive at night. 

I keep on saying that I need to go out and make my own albums of these someday in my hometown Burbank, CA, but that has yet to see completion.

Big credit to the Flickr of Michael Barnes

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do it - capture your local signs - because if even one disappears overnight you could feel physical grief. I always thought I'd get around to documenting the village where I grew up and I thought I had all the time in the world, but suddenly there was a development boom and things changed beyond recognition. I ache for those old signs and shopfronts.

Unknown said...

How times have changed! These were probably from the golden age of neon signs. Back in those days, Time Square was studded with cool signs like these. But now, we've moved to high-tech led displays. It shows more info, but the classic neon will always keep it's charm.

Justin @ CrownNeonSigns.com

Robert said...

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. beer tap handles

Alia parker said...

Neon Signs are so much adorable. This Neon Signs looking charming i must say. I was thinking i also will use this Neon Signs to promote my business.

alizashah said...

Thanks for sharing!
tmobile iphone 13 pro max